Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Whale and Listening



This painting was interesting because the whale came forward so forcefully. It was as if it was saying "Don't paint over me, I am a whale. I hadn't even thought of painting a whale. But there he was. I like to look up the symbolism for different animals to see what they meant to different cultures. Whales are symbols of remembering and record keeping, of listening deeply and carefully, creativity and to Christians, rebirth because of the story of Jonah and the whale. (Though the Bible never actually says it was a whale, it says it was a fish. But anyway.)

I've been feeling the need to really listen lately. I'm trying to hear God's voice in my life. So often other things crowd in. Then later something happens and you feel like "I just had a feeling..." but you didn't pay as much attention as you should have. I want to pay attention. I don't want to miss God's voice. 


1 comment: